By: Cynthia Gao, Campus Recreation Services, Group Fitness Instructor
College can be a stressful time for anyone due to the seemingly endless piles of papers to write, books to read, and notes to study. It can be enough to make anyone feel overwhelmed! But we have to keep our stress in check if we are to survive these years until graduation — a great way to do that is by being active.
Whether exercise is your daily study break, your hobby, or your way of staying in shape – there is a fitness class that was made for you!
Here are five amazing fitness classes offered through the ERC that have helped me make the most of my time here at Maryland.
- Yoga – When you think of exercise that keeps you calm and relaxed, the first thing you may think of is yoga! Yoga allows you to build strength, grow flexibility, and improve balance all while calming the mind and nourishing the soul. No wonder it has become the favorite form of exercise for many actors, models, and professional athletes. Yoga mats are provided in all UMD fitness classes as well as towels, blocks, and straps. Everything you could possibly need to start your journey into yoga is here. As you progress on your journey into yoga you will learn more about your body and yourself.
- HIIT – This high intensity class is one you won’t want to miss. If you like feeling the burn and reaping the benefits, then this class is for you. You will go through a series of intense workouts spaced evenly between periods of active rest. This will give your body the right amount of time to recover and reenergize between those burpees and mountain climbers. The routines are similar to those of professionals and are done mostly with bodyweight rather than equipment, so you can learn some moves and incorporate them into your own workouts. You will build strength here and sweat out the stress that might be bringing you down.
- Zumba® – One of the best dance classes you will ever do! Can’t dance? No worries! We will teach you. There is no judgment in this class as everyone is there just to have fun and shake their stuff. This class is super high energy will have you jumping, shaking, and rocking out to awesome music. Release some of the stress from school with this fun and engaging dance workout.
- BODYPUMP™ – This strength training class is tailored just for you. You get to choose what weights and equipment to use, whether you want an intense workout with increased weights or a light workout with dumbbells. You will work on all major muscle groups, including biceps, triceps, thighs, claves, and your core. Through squats, presses, lifts and curls you’ll be sculpting those muscles and building strength. This class will give you a full body workout and leave you feeling stronger than ever.
- BikeYo – Like the outdoors? Then this class is for you! While most class take place in indoors, this class allows you to breathe the fresh air and get a fun workout at the same time. You will bike through a portion of the Anacostia Tributary Trail System located right next to the College Park campus. The group will bike through the scenic park trail to the beautiful Lake Artemesia and then be lead through a relaxing yoga session in a gazebo above the lake. The amazing sights will open your eyes to all this campus has to offer while giving your body an effective cycling workout. BikeYoO is one of many fusion classes offered in partnership with the Maryland Adventure Program. Check this page for the current schedule of these special classes.
No matter how you like to work out, there is something here for you. So don’t just stay cooped up in your dorm room — come experience some of these great classes! You will feel refreshed and be prepared for anything school can throw at you.
What are your favorite group fitness classes at UMD?